Green remodeling is becoming more and more popular, and for very good reasons, it:
* Saves money on building materials
* Offers a less polluted environment
* Conserves energy with better natural lightening
* Emphasizes better ventilation
So, even though going green is the simple choice, finding a good green contractor that will help you achieve your desired end result is not so simple.
Green construction is still a relatively new branch of construction, so getting a contractor that does not only know what you need and how the achieve it, but also has prior experience with similar projects, is very important.
Look for green contractors that offer you the following –
* References from clients with finished green projects, similar to the one you are planning – Don’t settle for pictures, ask to see for yourself, and talk to the owners. If you are planning to remodel your whole house, ask to see a finished project that has a similar size scale, not only a green roofing construction.
* Ideas – You don’t have to accept everything your contractor offers you, but check to see that he or she have ideas. With green remodeling, you will need a contractor that can pick the best materials, offer you tips on what to do and what to avoid. For example: placing a large glass window on the wrong side of the house can result in hotter summers and colder winters – more energy consumption and a bigger electricity bill, which can all be avoided with proper planning.
* Qualified contractors – Qualified contractors are actually pre-screened contractors. You can check to see what the programs available in your area are for green contractors and what criteria do contractors need to meet in order to become qualified.
* Work Volume – This part is a bit tricky, so you might need to get a couple of contractors in order to compare. You are looking for a contractor that is not too busy but also had his share of recent green projects. This guarantees that your contractor is up to date with the latest materials and green building methods, as well as not too busy, so he can pay attention to your project.
The best thing to do when looking for green contractors is to get price estimates which you can compare. Ask your contractor questions so that you will also notice how well he answers, how green remodeling savvy he is.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3200322